Tuesday, November 22, 2011

::le sigh



Today's been rough. 
I'm in a mood. 
funk, if you will.
My emotions match the outdoor ambience. 



What ails me is nothing extraordinary; just the everyday business of living, really. 
I so deeply treasure the gift of communication, and it can be devastating when others do not. 

It's a tough road sometimes when you're easygoing and considered "nice," because people figure they can do whatever they want, and you won't mind.

You don't have any preferences, and even if you do, they're infinitely flexible; certainly nothing to be taken seriously.
You finally start to assert yourself, lend a voice to your flimsy feelings, and they think it's cute. Comical.
They look at you the way they might at a kitten wearing a tiger costume.


A friend in college said to me one year, "I hate the holidays. They're so depressing."

And I remember regarding him with a puzzled, pained expression and asking with just the right note of annoying naïveté, "Why?"

The older I get, the more I understand why. 

1 comment:

laura said...

sending you some love today... i'm with you - we get a lot of similar assumptions because we don't have kids, which is a whole other painful subject.... i miss you, friend.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails