Thursday, January 27, 2011

::telly


There is something I do on a regular basis that is frowned upon by many people.
I watch television.
And I thoroughly enjoy it.

I've seen the bumper stickers that say KILL YOUR TELEVISION.
I've heard the why watch mind-numbing drivel when you could be doing something productive? argument.

Our culture perpetuates this gratuitous emphasis on being productive.
I don't necessarily disagree with that, but why is being productive so superior to relaxing, observing, laughing, or even learning?
Are not all of those things important, even necessary?

Maybe I'm just lazy.

Or maybe some days I feel like my relentless brain never stops pelting me with worries and anxieties, and I just need an escape.
Maybe I watch raw, gritty documentaries because they help me to empathize with the suffering of others.
Maybe I love to sit and giggle uncontrollably at silly shenanigans and razor-sharp one-liners because I need to be reminded of triumphant joy.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails