Monday, August 3, 2009

::dewey decimal


I love libraries.

I always have.


My job search of late has included many searches for openings in local libraries.


I love the instantly-palpable peaceful spirit, the truckloads of books shelved in such an orderly manner, the circulation clerks offering shy smiles and asking "May I help you?" in perfectly hushed voices.

I savor the duality of independence and interdependence; solitary individuals clearly accomplishing errands, while others hunch in groups at tables, searching for definitions of words like ancillary and diphthong.


Whenever I find myself pining for exit, I always feel slightly sad, wondering if there is anything I have forgotten or neglected, anything I could do that might allow me to stay just one minute longer.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails